International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is pleased to announce the ISSS Intercultural Workshop Series for Fall 2017. The series includes sessions focused on intercultural competency and skills development as well as “Culture In-Depth” sessions discussing the unique practices, customs, and values of some of the largest international student populations on our campus.
Each session helps UMN staff members gain greater cultural self-awareness, an understanding of the contributions of international students, and communication skills to improve interactions and relationships with international students, staff, and faculty.
Below is the full list of ISSS Intercultural Workshops being held this Fall. The full descriptions for each session, including a list of learning outcomes, can be found on the ISSS website, and registration is now open on ULearn.
When registering, please register for each session you would like to attend. Please also note the time and location for your sessions (listed on ULearn), as they vary.
- September 19, 2:00-4:00: Becoming Aware of Your Own Culture
- October 4, 10:00-12:00: Communicating with International Students
- October 19, 2:00-4:00: Culture In-Depth: Chinese Students at the U of M
- October 31, 2:00-4:00: Culture In-Depth: Indian Students at the U of M
- November 15, 10:00-12:00: Bridging Cultural Differences
- November 30, 2:00-4:00: Culture In-Depth: Korean Students at the U of M
New and seasoned academic advisers, career counselors, and student service staff are invited to attend ISSS's Adviser Training on October 18 at 8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
This workshop will give an overview of UMN's international student population, immigration requirements, and key communications skills for advisers. This training is focused on working with undergraduate students.
All University of Minnesota staff and faculty members are encouraged to attend. Please share this message with your colleagues.