McNair Program at-a-glance
The goal of McNair Scholars is to give undergraduate students intensive, faculty-driven research experiences and prepare students for entry into graduate school. During the 10-week summer research program students:
- Develop a great relationship with a professor that is essential for applying to graduate school
- Receive a $3,500 stipend
- Conduct research with a professor
- Develop a quality research paper
- Receive guidance through the graduate school process (e.g. identify graduate programs, write a personal statement, create a curriculum vitae, etc.)
- Present research at poster sessions held on campus
- First generation college student and low-income, or from an underrepresented group
- GPA of 2.75 and above
- Full-time sophomore or junior and a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident
- Students with a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) focus are strongly encouraged to apply to the McNair Scholars Program, as are student veterans.
How to apply
- The application deadline for summer 2018 is January 22, 2018.
- Attend an information session. Staff and alumni will answer questions about the program, the application process, and can provide feedback on personal statements.
- Pick up an application from 40 Education Sciences Building, 8:30-4:00, Monday-Friday. Please ask if a McNair staff member is available, as we will be happy to meet with you.
- Although we provide the application online, we strongly encourage coming in to discuss program questions about the application process in-person or by phone. Through these discussions we can provide tips on applying, including writing a strong personal statement and requesting faculty recommendations.
- If you are not on the University of Minnesota campus, please contact Anthony Albecker, firstname.lastname@example.org.